HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Alliance League WebsiteAlliance League Website  

Share | 

what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

What silver do you want to compete for?
just league
6%
 6% [ 2 ]
league and county cup
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
league, county cup and billy walton
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
league, county cup, billy walton and divisional cup such as stokes
55%
 55% [ 17 ]
league, county and divisional cup
23%
 23% [ 7 ]
league and divisional cup
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
league and billy walton
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
league county and billy walton
6%
 6% [ 2 ]
league billy walton and divisional cup
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 31

AuthorMessage
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog

PostSubject: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 4:12 pm

There has been a lot of chat about this cup or that cup being a drain or unwanted, so what trophies should there be?
Back to top Go down
Sparta3
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 4:19 pm

I have voted to remove the Bill Walton purely from a finance point of view. But tradition has a big part to play so I would probably keep it in the end! Plus the chance to play better sides is a bit exciting.
Back to top Go down
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 4:25 pm

Sparta3 wrote:
I have voted to remove the Bill Walton purely from a finance point of view. But tradition has a big part to play so I would probably keep it in the end! Plus the chance to play better sides is a bit exciting.

i think that's very valid, i used to love it in the lsl when i played bottom division and we drew willowbrook and other similar quality!
Back to top Go down
Fishandchips
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

All of them,

league goes without saying

Fosters/Stokes etc. gives you a real chance to get to Holmes park against teams generally of about your standard

County Cup - same as above but a bit more champions league Smile

Billy Walton - although very slim chance of anyone outside the top division or 2 will win it you can cause an upset or test yourselves against higher teams, we've enjoyed playing the likes of Scrappy Garage and GT in this last couple of seasons

The only one i've really seen in question is the format of the Arthur Moore, which we are not involved in, personally i like the format and it's a bit different but we don't have to play in it and suffer the expenses etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/mdhknights/
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 5:27 pm

Fishandchips wrote:
All of them,

Fosters/Stokes etc. gives you a real chance to get to Holmes park against teams generally of about your standard

Billy Walton - although very slim chance of anyone outside the top division or 2 will win it you can cause an upset or test yourselves against higher teams, we've enjoyed playing the likes of Scrappy Garage and GT in this last couple of seasons

The only one i've really seen in question is the format of the Arthur Moore, which we are not involved in, personally i like the format and it's a bit different but we don't have to play in it and suffer the expenses etc.

the Arthur Moore appears to have same number of away games as home in group stages, so technically is guaranteed not to cost anything until group stages. or that's how it appears
Back to top Go down
whiteeagles
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 5:30 pm

I've gone for League, County and Divisional.

Despite being in the last 16 of the Billy Walton, in all reality, a division 6 side will not get any further than that in all honesty. And as Sparta said, also a finance thing.
Back to top Go down
Sparta3
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 5:59 pm

Finance can work both ways though. I don't think we had a single cup game at home last season.

Perhaps, for the Alliance at least, the cost could be split somehow?
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 6:15 pm

away sides pay the ref
Back to top Go down
whiteeagles
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 6:49 pm

Sparta3 wrote:
Finance can work both ways though. I don't think we had a single cup game at home last season.

Perhaps, for the Alliance at least, the cost could be split somehow?
Without a doubt but so far this season we've had:

Billy Walton:
Gate Hangs Well (Home)
Trinderbox (Home)
Huncote Reserves (Away) and postponed!

County Cup:
Sporting Birstall (Home)
Plough Thorpe Acre (Home)
CFA (Away)

Stokes Cup:
AFC Royal Oak (Home)

So in effect 5 home games and 1 away... not great for us.
Back to top Go down
Hairy Hebrew!
Division 1 Poster
Division 1 Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 8:37 pm

weve been pretty lucky so far having every single cup game so far away from home Smile

Royalist at home in the county cup in a couple of weeks is our first home cup game. So pretty happy with that!

I have only seen people in the Arthur Moore competition complaining. Changing the format to a straight knock out seems to be an easy enough solution.
Back to top Go down
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Wed 14 Nov 2012, 8:55 pm

i like the champions league format, probably coz we are in Div 1 so gives us a second bite at the cherry
Back to top Go down
Fishandchips
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Thu 15 Nov 2012, 9:21 am

Widds wrote:
Fishandchips wrote:
All of them,

the Arthur Moore appears to have same number of away games as home in group stages, so technically is guaranteed not to cost anything until group stages. or that's how it appears

I'd agree with you and in theory should actually be better financially than knock out if you are drawn away in each round but have read several teams on here complaining, i guess once you are out and still have to play games it can seem pointless, with the Prem again losing teams the format does suit them so they don't end up finishing the season in Feb but it's the lower end of the Prem teams that seem to have the issue probably because if they want/need to concentrate on the league it's a distraction they could do without especially if struggling for players week in week out?
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/mdhknights/
Widds
Top Dog
Top Dog

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Thu 15 Nov 2012, 9:23 pm

interesting that only one person wanted less than three cups
Back to top Go down
Sparta3
Division 2 Poster
Division 2 Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Fri 16 Nov 2012, 9:09 am

Polska legend II wrote:
away sides pay the ref

Do other leagues in the county do this already for cup games? I remember being asked to pay the referee against a North Leicester team one year as they thought it was the correct way.
Back to top Go down
Paul Daniels
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Fri 16 Nov 2012, 12:37 pm

I've gone for League, County and Bill Walton.

League is obvious.

County cup is a great competition and you genuinly have a good chance of getting yourself to a final, that providing you are competitive in your league at least. I enjoy playing teams of similar standard from other leagues.

Bill Walton because it's like the FA Cup of the Alliance League, and who doesn't love the FA Cup.

The cup I'd do away with is the divisional ones. I don't really understand why these cups exist. It's just extra league game effectively with a trophy at the end, and usually the top sides go on to win these. I might feel differently if we played ina lower league and didn't have to take part in the Arthur Moore for example.

Arthur Moore, Terrible cup, nice concept but in reality it doesn't work. We are a very average Div1 side at best, and we have 3 Prem teams of very good standard in our group. In reality we don't have a chance of progressing, and we struggle to get a side out and interested in playing these fixtures. It's a big waste of money in all honesty. I can appreciate that it was invented in order for the Prem to be allowed to play more games, but that doesn't do us Div1 sides any favours. You can get so many dead rubber games in this, a couple of seasons ago we had a fixture, away at Sporting Highcross, it was cancelled twice and replayed on the 3rd attempt. We were already out, they were already through, and they just drew names out of a hat. Oh and it was the coldest morning I've ever known.

I'm pretty sure the likes of Widds and a few others will disagree.

I'm not sure as to whether this cup could be replaced or whether we don't actually need another cup at all. I'd say 3 trophies was enough to play for in a season really.

You could make the Arthur Moore a cup between all the Prem sides, that ours, LSL, Charnwood and Hinckley. That could work.

God this was a boring post, sorry guys.
Back to top Go down
Aussie Owl
Super Premier Poster
Super Premier Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Sat 17 Nov 2012, 1:54 pm

The County Cups are compulsory.

The Biggest and the Best
Back to top Go down
Polska legend II
Supreme Top Dog
Supreme Top Dog

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Sat 17 Nov 2012, 6:03 pm

as they should be
Back to top Go down
I luv Edna in Emmerdale

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Sat 17 Nov 2012, 6:34 pm

All of 'em!!!
Back to top Go down
dezza
Championship Poster
Championship Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:28 pm

Paul Daniels wrote:
I've gone for League, County and Bill Walton.

League is obvious.

County cup is a great competition and you genuinly have a good chance of getting yourself to a final, that providing you are competitive in your league at least. I enjoy playing teams of similar standard from other leagues.

Bill Walton because it's like the FA Cup of the Alliance League, and who doesn't love the FA Cup.

The cup I'd do away with is the divisional ones. I don't really understand why these cups exist. It's just extra league game effectively with a trophy at the end, and usually the top sides go on to win these. I might feel differently if we played ina lower league and didn't have to take part in the Arthur Moore for example.

Arthur Moore, Terrible cup, nice concept but in reality it doesn't work. We are a very average Div1 side at best, and we have 3 Prem teams of very good standard in our group. In reality we don't have a chance of progressing, and we struggle to get a side out and interested in playing these fixtures. It's a big waste of money in all honesty. I can appreciate that it was invented in order for the Prem to be allowed to play more games, but that doesn't do us Div1 sides any favours. You can get so many dead rubber games in this, a couple of seasons ago we had a fixture, away at Sporting Highcross, it was cancelled twice and replayed on the 3rd attempt. We were already out, they were already through, and they just drew names out of a hat. Oh and it was the coldest morning I've ever known.

I'm pretty sure the likes of Widds and a few others will disagree.

I'm not sure as to whether this cup could be replaced or whether we don't actually need another cup at all. I'd say 3 trophies was enough to play for in a season really.

You could make the Arthur Moore a cup between all the Prem sides, that ours, LSL, Charnwood and Hinckley. That could work.

God this was a boring post, sorry guys.

Did you use to be white lion then? Think that was the team name? I remember said game against us cancelled twice cos of the pitch then we did draw names as didn't want to win the group as it gave us a harder tie in the next round! Still ended up playing advance couriers though lol
Back to top Go down
L.K.F.C
Non-League Poster
Non-League Poster

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   Tue 18 Dec 2012, 4:03 pm

For me the cup competitions are spot on (I can't comment on the Arthur Moore as we are not involved)
Whilst for those competing for their respective leagues it may be a slight distraction it also offers a chance for other teams to challenge for silverware and keeps them interested.
Having reached a final 2 years back it was a fantastic day and looking at the lads faces after losing out in a couple of semis since it clearly matters to them.
At this point we have no league silverware so it isn't always the same names winning leagues and cups, like many teams we've grown together and the cup gave us that chance after blowing the league by losing 5 of our first 6 games.

Add to that we have had great fun running the likes of GT and a memorable game with Scrappy Garage bloody close and it's great to have the chance to play the bigger boys.

All in all great comps keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff   

Back to top Go down

what should the season consist of with regards silvery stuff
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1